Recipe by Janet Taylor McCracken
Start to Finish: 45 minutes
- 1 refrigerated piecrust from a box (not in a dish)
- 1 large egg
- 1 jar (13 oz.) fig jam
- 4 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. bourbon
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- 1 1/2 cups pecan halves
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 400°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Unroll the piecrust onto the parchment.
2. Separate the egg and place the egg yolk in a medium bowl and the egg white in a small bowl. In the medium bowl, whisk the jam, 2 tbsp. sugar, the bourbon, cinnamon, orange zest, and a pinch of salt into the yolk. Whisk 2 tbsp. sugar into the egg white. Add the pecans to the egg white and toss until coated.
3. Spread the jam over the crust, leaving a 1 1/2- to 2-inch border. Scatter the chocolate chips on top. Top with the pecans. Bring the edges of the crust over the filling, folding as you go and sealing any cracks in the sides so the filling doesn’t ooze out as the pie bakes. Brush the crust with the remaining egg white in the bottom of the small bowl. Sprinkle the crust and the pie with the remaining 1 tsp. sugar. Bake, rotating the baking sheet halfway through baking for even browning, until the crust is golden brown and the nuts are toasted, 40 to 45 minutes. Let the pie cool on a wire rack.