- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large shallots, finley chopped
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 - 4 small sage leaves, very thinly sliced, or 1/2 tsp. ground sage
- About 1 cup brut Champagne or other dry sparking wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Gorgonzola dolce (4 oz.)
- A fat handful freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus more for topping
- 3/4 pound egg fettuccine or tagliatelle
- A few grinds black pepper
- A small handful flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta. In a large skillet, heat the EVOO, one turn of the pan, over medium-low. Add the butter to the skillet. When the foam begins to subside, add the shallots, garlic and sage and stir until soft, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the Champagne and simmer until reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Stir in the cream and let the sauce bubble until thickened, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the Gorgonzola and Parmigiano-Reggiano and stir until melted. Remove from the heat.
Meanwhile, salt the boiling water, add the pasta, and cook until al dente. Drain; add the pasta to the sauce. Toss with tongs until coated evenly. Season with pepper. Serve in shallow bowls topped with parsley and more cheese.