- 1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chicken
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning, such as Bell's
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- A pinch freshly grated or ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, plus more for garnish
- 2 teaspoons fennel seed, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup steel-cut or rolled oats
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 - 3 small sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves stripped and chopped
- 2 tablespoons (or more)mild honey, preferably acacia
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs with the milk, then squeeze out excess liquid. In a large bowl, combine the chicken with the breadcrumb mixture and the remaining meatball ingredients. Roll the chicken mixture into walnut-size balls. Divide the meatballs between the baking sheets. Bake until golden and cooked through, 15 to 18 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a medium pot, stir the pine nuts and fennel seed over medium heat until toasted, about 2 minutes. Add 3 cups water, the milk, oats, raisins, butter, sea salt and rosemary to the pot and bring to a simmer (do not boil). Cook, stirring often, until the oats are tender, about 20 minutes for steel-cut and 10 minutes for rolled. Add honey to taste.
Divide the oatmeal among shallow bowls. Top each with some meatballs; sprinkle with pine nuts and fennel seed.