- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound fusilli
- 2 tablespoons EVOO, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 bulb fennel--quartered, cored and sliced
- 1 onion, quartered lengthwise and sliced crosswise
- 1 cubanelle pepper--halved, seeded and sliced
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 can (29 oz.) italian plum tomatoes
- 1/2 cup torn basil
- Grated parmigiano-reggiano, for serving
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving a ladleful of the pasta cooking water.
While the pasta is working, in a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp. EVOO and the butter over medium-high heat. Stir in the fennel seeds for 1 minutes. Add the fennel, onion, cubanelle and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook until softened, 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and basil. lower the heat and simmer until thickened, 20 minutes. Stir int he reserved pasta cooking water.
Toss the pasta with the sauce. Top with cheese and more EVOO.