- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound spaghetti or whole wheat spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bulb fennel, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon or orange peel
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 belgian endive, thinly sliced
- Freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving a ladleful of the pasta cooking water.
While the pasta is working, in a large skillet, heat the EVOO, 3 turns of the pan, over medium heat. Add the fennel and onion and cook until softened, 20 minutes. Add the garlic, thyme and lemon peel and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the wine and parsley and cook for 1 minute.
Stir in the pasta and enough of the reserved pasta cooking water to moisten as desired. Stir in the endive; season with salt and pepper. Top with the cheese and pine nuts.