- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 pieces skinless, boneless chicken breasts, halved crosswise
- 4 pieces skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons flour, plus more for coating
- 1 bulb fennel, thinly sliced, plus a small handful of fennel fronds, chopped
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3/4- 1 cup dry white wine (eyeball it)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- A handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt, pepper, the poultry seasoning and fennel seeds. Coat the chicken lightly with flour. Add the chicken to the pan and cook, turning once, until golden, 8 minutes; transfer to a plate.
Add the remaining 2 tablespoons EVOO, the fennel, fennel fronds, onion and garlic to the pan; season with salt and pepper and cook for 10 minutes. Add the wine, scraping the bottom of the pan. Add the chicken on top, cover and cook through for about 5 minutes.
Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add the butter to melt, then add the pine nuts and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the 2 tablespoons flour for 1 minute. Whisk in the chicken stock and Worcestershire sauce and cook until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Pour the sauce over the chicken. Top with the parsley.