- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 cup whole-grain (not pearled) farro
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 8 ounces hot Italian sausage (about 2 links), casings removed
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed, leaves roughly chopped (about 4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated pecorino-romano
In a large, heavy saucepan, cover the farro with a couple inches of water. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, salt the water and simmer gently until the farro is tender, about 30 minutes. Drain.
Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat 1 tbsp. EVOO over medium. Cook the sausage, breaking it up, until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Cook the garlic until golden, 2 minutes. Add the stock; bring to a simmer. Stir in the farro and kale and simmer until the kale is tender, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat.
Return the sausage to the pan and stir in the thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Divide the stew among bowls, top with the cheese and drizzle with the remaining 1 tbsp. EVOO.