- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- 1 pound bulk sweet breakfast sausage or maple sausage
- 2 gala apples--quartered, cored and finely chopped (leave the skin on)
- 1 large yukon gold or thin-skinned white potato, finely chopped
- 1 fresno or other fairly mild chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- A few sprigs fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup calvados or other apple brandy
- 8 large eggs
- 4 hand-cut 1-inch-thick slices brioche or other white bread, toasted
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened and mixed with 2 teaspoons honey or maple syrup
Heat the EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook to brown, then crumble it. Add the apples, potato, chile pepper and onion; season with a little salt and pepper and the thyme. Cook, stirring frequently, for 20 minutes. Deglaze the hash with the calvados and stir to evaporate.
Cook the eggs any style (we like ours over easy). Place 2 on each portion of hash. Serve the toast alongside, slathered with the honey (or maple) butter.