- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish, drained
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups warm milk
- 2 10 ounce boxes frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated nutmeg
- 1 1/2 pounds eye round steaks (3/8-inch thick, about 8 total)
In a bowl, combine the sour cream and horseradish; season. Cover sauce and refrigerate until ready to serve.
In a medium saucepan, heat 2 tbsp. oil over medium heat and cook the onion until soft, 6 to 8 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the onion; cook, stirring, until just starting to brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk and simmer, whisking constantly, until thick, about 5 minutes. Stir in the spinach and nutmeg; season. Cook until warmed through, 2 to 3 minutes more. Cover to keep warm.
Heat a large heavy skillet (preferably cast-iron) over medium-high heat until very hot. Season the steaks generously. Working in batches, and without crowding the pan, cook the steaks in remaining 2 tbsp. oil, flipping halfway through, 2 to 3 minutes for medium-rare. Serve steaks with horseradish sauce and creamed spinach.