- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 red or green bell peppers, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cans (15.5 oz. each) black beans, rinsed
- 2 cans (14.5 oz. each) diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 2 cups chicken stock, vegetable stock or water
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Optional toppings: plain low-fat yogurt, shredded reduced-fat cheddar, diced avocado
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Brush a rimmed baking sheet with olive oil. In a large bowl, toss the potatoes, peppers and 1 tbsp. oil; season with salt and pepper. Spread in a single layer on the baking sheet. Roast until tender, about 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large pot, heat the remaining 3 tbsp. oil over medium. Add the onion; season. Cook, stirring often, until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and spices. Cook until the spices are fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add the chicken. Cook, stirring often, until the chicken browns, about 5 minutes. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, stock and cocoa. Bring to a gentle simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is tender, about 45 minutes; season.
Add the roasted vegetables to the pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the flavors meld, about 15 minutes. Divide the chili among bowls; top with the cilantro. Serve with the toppings, if using.