- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 eggplant, half of the skin peeled to make stripes and the flesh chopped into 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 32 ounce container (4 cups) chicken broth
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 pound raviolini (small, cheese-filled ravioli)
- 1 cup sliced or torn basil leaves
- Grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, for topping
In a medium soup pot, melt the butter with the EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, over medium heat. Add the eggplant and garlic, season with salt and pepper and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add the raviolini and cook until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the basil.
Serve the soup in bowls, topped with cheese.