Recipe by Jenny Park
Start to finish: 1 hour 15 min
- Cooking spray
- 10 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp. white miso
- 1 tsp. honey
- 8 slices soft country white bread, crusts removed
1. Preheat the oven to 325˚. Lightly grease an 8 by 8 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Line with parchment, letting the parchment hang over the sides of the baking dish. Lightly grease the top of the parchment with more cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Pour into the prepared baking dish. Bake until eggs are fluffy, have set, and spring back when gently pushed in the center, rotating the dish halfway through, about 35 minutes.
3. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Using the parchment overhang, carefully lift eggs from the pan and invert onto a work surface. Gently peel parchment away and cut into four even squares.
4. Add enough oil to a deep pot to measure about 3 inches. Heat over medium-high until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350˚. Set a wire rack in a rimmed baking sheet.
5. In one shallow bowl, place the flour. In a second shallow bowl, beat the eggs. In a third shallow bowl, add the panko. Dredge one egg square in the flour to coat; shake off any excess. Coat in the eggs; let the excess drip into the bowl. Dredge in the panko, pressing to adhere. Shake off the excess panko. Repeat with the remaining egg squares.
6. Working with one egg piece at a time, carefully add to the oil and fry until golden brown, about 3 1/2 minutes. Place on the wire rack. Season with salt.
7. Just before assembling, in a small mixing bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, miso, and honey. Spread about a tablespoon of miso-honey mayonnaise over each slice of bread. Build the sandwiches with the bread and fried egg squares, gently pressing together. Cut in half.