Recipe by Lauren Schaefer
Start to Finish: 6 hours, 20 minutes
Servings: Makes 1 quart
- Bones and skin from 1 rotisserie chicken
- 1 head garlic, halved
- 2 onions, quartered
- 3 carrots, broken in half
- 4 stalks celery, broken in half
- Aromatics like ginger, fresh parsley, or peppercorns (optional)
1. In a large pot, bring all the ingredients and 4 quarts of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer the stock, uncovered, for 3 hours. Skim off any foam that rises to the top and add water as needed to maintain the same level of liquid in the pot.
2. Cover the pot and simmer until a rich stock forms, about 3 hours more. Let cool slightly. Using a fine-mesh strainer, strain the stock into a large bowl; season with salt. Let cool. Transfer to an airtight container. Refrigerate for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.