Recipe by Rachael Ray
- 1 lb. ground veal or ground beef, pork and veal mix
- 1/2 lb. bulk sweet Italian sausage with fennel
- 2 cups grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Pecorino Romano
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 can (28 oz.) crushed Italian tomatoes
- A handful of fresh basil leaves, torn
- Sea salt
- 4 Italian hoagie rolls (10 to 12 inches each), split
Deli-sliced provolone, optional
1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 475°.
2. In a medium bowl, mix all the meatball ingredients except the oil; roll into 12 large balls. Transfer the meatballs to a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with the oil and roast, turning once, until browned and just cooked through, 18 to 20 minutes.
3. For the sauce, in a wide skillet or pot, heat the oil, two turns of the pan, over medium. Add the garlic and swirl the pan until the garlic is fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and basil and season with the sea salt. Simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Toss the meatballs in the sauce and serve on the hoagie rolls. If using provolone, top with the cheese, place on a baking sheet and pop into the hot oven until the cheese melts, about 4 minutes.