- 2 slices stale white bread, crusts trimmed
- Whole milk, for soaking
- 1 pkg. (1 1/4 to 1 1/2 lbs.) ground turkey breast
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup mango chutney, such as Patak's mild, plus more for topping
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt, plus more for topping
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 small red chile pepper, such as fresno, seeded and chopped
- 3 - 4 thin scallions, finely chopped
- 1 piece (1 inch) ginger, grated
- 2 large cloves garlic, grated
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped, toasted pine nuts, almonds or pistachios
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- A small handful cilantro, finely chopped
- Melted butter or vegetable oil, for frying
- 4 pieces toasted or grilled naan or other flatbread
- Toppings, hot giardiniera or pickled peppers, cucumber slices, lettuce leaves, tomato slices, chopped red onion
On a rimmed plate or in a pie dish, soak the bread in the milk to soften.
In a large bowl, crumble the ground turkey and season with salt and pepper. Squeeze the milk from the bread over the meat, then add the bread. Add 1/4 cup chutney, 1/4 cup yogurt, the egg, chile, scallions, ginger, garlic, nuts, curry powder, cumin and cilantro. Mix and form into 4 patties.
Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium-high heat. Brush with melted butter (or oil). Add the patties and fry, turning once, until opaque, about 12 minutes.
Fold the flatbreads. Fill each with a patty and the toppings of your choice. Dollop with yogurt and chutney.