- 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground turkey or ground turkey breast
- 1 bunch scallions, whites finely chopped, green tops thinly sliced on an angle
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled, then grated or pasted
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 fresh red chile, such as Fresno or red jalapeno, minced or finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon (about a palmful) garam masala or curry powder
- 1 teaspoon (about 1/3 palmful) ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon (about 1/3 palmful) ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup mango chutney, preferably Patak's
- 4 garlic or plain naan breads
- 2 tablespoons melted butter, for brushing naan
- Plain Greek yogurt, chopped lettuce, seeded and diced yellow tomatoes, toasted sliced almonds
In a large skillet, heat the oil, two turns of the pan, over medium-high. Add the turkey and cook, stirring often and breaking up with a spoon, until browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the scallion whites, the ginger, garlic, chile and the dried spices; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until the scallions soften and the spices are aromatic, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the stock and chutney; let simmer until thickened, about 6 minutes.
Heat a large nonstick skillet or griddle pan over medium-high. Splash a little water on the pan (it should dance). Add 2 naan breads to the skillet and cook until the bread browns in spots, about 1 minute per side. Lightly brush tops of breads with butter; repeat with the remaining naan. Cut the naan in half crosswise, making two half-moon-shaped soft tacos from each large, oval-shaped piece of bread.
To make the tacos, arrange the naan, buttered side up, on a work surface. Slather with yogurt; top with the turkey mixture, lettuce, tomato, scallion greens and almonds.