- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 tablespoons EVOO, plus more for drizzling
- 1 large red onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils
- 6 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 3/4 cup canned light coconut milk
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored then finely diced
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
In a large pot, heat 2 tbsp. oil over medium. Add the onion, garlic and spices. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, until the tomato paste darkens, about 2 minutes. Stir in the lentils and then the stock; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are soft and begin to fall apart, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the apple, cilantro and 1 tbsp. oil; season.
In a blender, puree half the soup. Return to the pot; stir in the coconut milk; season. Drizzle each serving with oil and top with the apple mixture.