Recipe by Mindy Fox
Start to Finish: 30 minutes
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 sweet onion (such as Vidalia), finely chopped
- 4 tsp. finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp. curry powder
- 1 lb. ground beef (80% lean)
- 3/4 cup dried red lentils, rinsed
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 can (13.5 oz.) coconut milk, shaken well
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro, plus whole leaves for garnish
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Plain yogurt, for serving
1. In a large pot, heat the oil over medium. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 7 to 9 minutes. Add the ginger and curry powder and cook for 1 minute more. Add the beef and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in the lentils and tomato paste. Stir for 1 minute, then add 3 1/2 cups water, the coconut milk, and chopped cilantro. Season the soup with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Cook until the lentils are tender, 20 to 25 minutes; season.
3. Off heat, stir in the lemon juice. Divide the soup among bowls. Top each with a dollop of yogurt and some cilantro leaves.