- 1 - 1 1/4 pounds fresh tuna, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons tamari (dark soy sauce)
- 3 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 8 dinner or brioche rolls
- 1/2 cup store-bought wasabi mustard or asian sweet-hot mustard (or combine 1/2 cup yellow mustard, 2 tablespoon honey and 1 teaspoon wasabi paste in a small bowl)
- 1/2 head bibb lettuce (about 4 to 5 leaves), torn
- 1/4 cup pickled ginger
- Fancy root-vegetable chips, such as Terra Chips
Add the tuna to a food processor and pulse to grind. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the chives, tamari, garlic and black pepper to taste. Form the tuna mixture into 8 small patties. Place the panko and sesame seeds in a shallow dish. Coat the patties in the panko mixture.
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the patties and cook until lightly golden-brown on the outside and pink in the middle, about 2 minutes per side.
Slather the roll tops with the wasabi mustard (or sweet-hot mustard). Place the burgers on the roll bottoms. Top with the lettuce, pickled ginger and roll tops. Serve with the root-vegetable chips.