- 2 cups multigrain or buckwheat waffle mix
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons melted butter, plus some for brushing the waffle iron
- Freshly grated nutmeg (about 1/4 teaspoon)
- About 1/4 pound sweet french-style ham, deli-sliced and chopped, or prosciutto cotto, chopped
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- Honey-dijon mustard and cornichons, for serving
Heat a waffle iron on the highest setting. Stir together the waffle mix, 2 eggs, the half-and-half, melted butter and nutmeg until smooth. Add the ham and cheese. Brush the waffle iron with more melted butter and fill with the batter. Cook according to the manufacturers instructions.
In a skillet, fry the remaining 4 eggs over easy. Serve the waffles with the eggs on top. Pass the mustard and cornichons at the table to serve alongside.