Recipe by Laura Rege
Start to Finish: 30 minutes
- 1 lb. large shrimp, peeled and deveined, with tails on
- 5 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup panko
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon, each slice cut crosswise into 4 pieces
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale (about 8 oz.), ribs removed, leaves torn into 1- to 2-inch pieces (5 cups)
- 8 oz. Brussels sprouts, shredded (3 cups)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1. Pat the shrimp dry; transfer to a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper and toss with 3 tbsp. of mayonnaise. Place the panko in a shallow dish. Roll the shrimp in the panko to coat.
2. In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat, turning once, until crispy, about 10 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels. Reserve the fat in the skillet.
3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the remaining 2 tbsp. mayonnaise with the buttermilk, chives, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Toss the kale and Brussels sprouts with the dressing, massaging the dressing into the vegetables; season.
4. Add the oil to the bacon fat in the skillet; heat over medium. Add half the shrimp in a single layer. Cook, turning once, until the panko is golden and the shrimp are just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Repeat with the remaining shrimp.
5. Toss the tomatoes with the salad. Divide the salad among plates. Top with the shrimp and bacon.