- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 ounce dried mushrooms, any variety
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- Salt and pepper
- 1 6 ounce box long-grain and wild rice mix
- 3/4 pound white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 skinless, boneless chicken breast (about 4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
Using a food processor, soak the dried mushrooms in 1 cup chicken broth for 10 minutes. Process until coarsely chopped, about 20 seconds.
In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, onion and sage and cook, stirring, until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add the rehydrated mushroom mixture and cook, stirring, for 1 minute; season with salt and pepper.
Stir in the remaining 5 cups broth, the rice mix and the sliced mushrooms and bring to a boil. Add the chicken breast, lower the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender and the chicken breast is cooked through, about 25 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate and shred; return to the pot. Stir in the heavy cream; season with salt and pepper and simmer for about 5 minutes.