- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 - 3 small cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- 1 32 ounce container (4 cups) vegetable broth
- 2 28 ounce cans Italian plum tomatoes, drained
- 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 6 sprigs flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups half-and-half
In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring often, for 30 seconds.
Add the broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, vodka, parsley, salt and sugar to the slow cooker; add the sauteed onions and garlic. Cover and cook on high heat to stew the tomatoes, 5 hours. Discard the parsley sprigs.
Using an immersion blender or a food processor, puree the soup in batches (be careful-the liquid is hot). Stir in the half-and-half. Cook in the covered slow cooker on low heat until heated through, 20 to 30 minutes.