- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup broken spaghetti pieces
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- salt and pepper
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 pound haricots verts (thin green beans), stemmed and halved
- 3 tablespoons EVOO
- 4 6 ounce pieces skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche
- 3 - 4 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
In a medium saucepan, melt 2 tbsp. butter over medium heat. Add the pasta; cook until golden, about 2 minutes. Stir in the rice; season. Stir in 2 1/4 cups stock, cover, lower the heat and simmer until tender, about 18 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring an inch or two of water to a boil. Add the haricots verts and cook until crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain and let cool.
In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp. EVOO over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, add to the pan and cook, turning once, until golden, about 12 minutes. Transfer to a platter and keep warm.
To the same skillet, add the remaining 1 tbsp. EVOO and butter. Cook over medium-high heat until foaming, then add the shallots and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in the wine and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the remaining 3/4 cup stock, the creme fraiche, tarragon and mustard.
Slice the chicken and add to the sauce in the pan. Stir in the green beans. Serve with the pilaf.