- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- Salt and pepper
- 3 carrots, sliced crosswise
- 1/2 cup long-grain rice, rinsed
- 1 16 ounce package frozen black-eyed peas, thawed
- 1 32 ounce container (4 cups) chicken broth
- 1 9 ounce package frozen creamed spinach, thawed
- 3/4 baguette, for serving
In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add to the pot and cook, stirring, until golden, 6 to 8 minutes; transfer to a plate. Add the carrots, rice and beans. Cook, scraping up any browned bits, for 1 minute, then stir in the chicken broth and 2 cups water. Bring to a simmer over high heat, then lower the heat and simmer until the rice and beans are tender, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, shred the chicken. Add to the soup along with the creamed spinach and cook for 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Serve with the baguette.