- 2 tablespoons EVOO or canola oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 - 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- A pinch freshly grated or ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- 1 16 ounce bag frozen chopped organic spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2- 3/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 2 pounds ground sirloin
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon coarse black pepper
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup beef stock or consomme
- 4 3/4-inch-thick slices good-quality white bread, toasted and buttered
- Store-bought french-fried onions, such as Frenchs
In a large skillet, heat EVOO, two turns of the pan, over medium. Add the onion and cook until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and stir 1 minute. Add the cream cheese; stir until melted. Add the cream and nutmeg; season with salt and pepper. Add the spinach and stir until heated through, about 3 minutes. Stir in the cheese.
In a large bowl, combine the sirloin, Worcestershire and black pepper; season with kosher salt. Form 4 large patties (thinner at the center for even cooking). Heat a grill pan or cast-iron skillet over medium-high and cook the burgers, turning once, about 8 minutes for medium-rare. Transfer the burgers to a plate. Add the stock to the skillet and cook, stirring, until reduced slightly, 2 to 3 minutes.
Divide the toast among 4 plates and top with the burgers. Drizzle each burger with the sauce from the skillet, then top with the creamed spinach and some crispy onions.