- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small chunks, plus softened butter for spreading
- 3/4 cup milk, plus more for moistening
- Pure maple syrup, for spreading
- 6 ounces thinly sliced dry-cured country ham or prosciutto
Preheat the oven to 475. In a large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry cutter, cut the chilled butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add 3/4 cup milk and combine using a fork. Add more milk as necessary to form a firm, not sticky, dough.
On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough 1/2 inch thick. Using a small cookie cutter or juice glass, cut out biscuits; discard the scraps. Place the biscuits an inch apart on ungreased baking sheets and bake until golden, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool.
Split the biscuits and layer with softened butter, syrup and the ham.