- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 3 cups cubed (3/4 inch) cornbread (preferably homemade)
- 1 pound sweet Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup diced dried tart cherries
- 1 cup vacuum-packed cooked chestnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 Granny Smith apple–peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 cup chicken stock, plus more as needed
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large skillet, melt 3 tbsp. butter over medium-high. Add the onions and celery; season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Reserve the skillet.
2. On a foil-lined baking sheet, arrange cornbread in a single layer and bake until browned in spots, about 15 minutes; let cool.
3. In the reserved skillet, heat the remaining 1 tbsp. butter. Add the sausage and cook, crumbling with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to the bowl with the vegetables. Add the cornbread, cherries, chestnuts, apple and herbs; season. Drizzle with 1 cup stock and toss, adding more stock by the tablespoon if needed to just moisten the cornbread; season.
4. Transfer the stuffing to a 3-quart baking dish. Cover and bake 30 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until browned on top, about 15 minutes more.