- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1 rib celery with leafy top, finely chopped
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning or ground thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 slices white bread, finely ground
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (2 generous handfuls)
- Flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped (a generous handful)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 slices baked ham
- 1/4- 1/3 pound thinly sliced fontina or Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- Olive oil, for frying
- Whole-berry cranberry sauce, or chutney
In a medium bowl, combine the turkey, celery, shallot, poultry seasoning and paprika. In a small bowl, combine the ground bread and milk and then squeeze the crumbs as you transfer them to the meat mixture. Mix in the egg, Parmigiano-Reggiano and parsley and season with salt and pepper.
Spread a foot-long piece of wax paper on a work surface. Using a rubber spatula, spread half the meat mixture on the wax paper to form an 8-inch-square. Top with the ham and fontina cheese, then the remaining meat mixture, forming the same square shape. Seal the edges to enclose. Cut into 4 square patties and coat each in the bread crumbs.
In a large skillet, heat 1 inch olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the patties and fry, turning once, until browned, about 10 minutes. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Serve with the cranberry sauce.