- 8 slices bacon
- 9 slices white or wheat sandwich bread
- 1 head butter lettuce, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup tarragon leaves
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice or white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for drizzling
- Salt and pepper
- 2 8 ounce piece skinless, boneless chicken breast, halved lengthwise
- 8 thin slices baked ham
- 4 thin slices Swiss cheese
- 8 slices tomato
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees . Bake the bacon on a broiler pan until crisp, about 15 minutes.
While the bacon is working, trim and discard the crust from 1 slice of bread, then tear the slice into pieces. Arrange the rest of the bread on a baking sheet and lightly toast in the oven, about 5 minutes. Using a food processor, mix the lettuce, parsley, tarragon, mustard, lemon juice and torn bread. With the machine on, pour in 1/4 cup EVOO to form a thick sauce; season with salt and pepper.
In a large skillet, heat a drizzle of EVOO over medium-high heat or heat a grill pan and brush with EVOO. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until golden, 4 to 6 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
Top each of 4 toasts with a chicken breast, 2 ham slices, 1 cheese slice (for melted cheese, broil the sammies for 1 minute), 2 tomato slices, salt, pepper and 2 bacon strips. Spread the lettuce puree on the remaining toasts and set on top. Slice the sammies into 4 triangles each.