- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1 pinch salt
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 teaspoons whiskey
- 36 chocolate-covered espresso beans
Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees . Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter, brown sugar and 2 tablespoons espresso powder at high speed until fluffy. Beat in the egg, baking powder, vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon salt at medium speed. Beat in the flour and 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar at low speed.
Roll the dough into 1-inch balls and place 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets. Using a glass with a flat bottom, flatten the balls 1/3 inch thick. Bake, switching and rotating the pans halfway through, until just soft in the center, 12 to 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, stir together the remaining 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar, 1/4 teaspoon espresso powder, 1 pinch salt and the whiskey. Using a pastry brush, coat the hot cookies with the glaze; press a chocolate espresso bean in the center of each cookie, then transfer the cookies to a rack to cool completely.