- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 eggplants, peeled and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cubanelle pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/3 cup flour
- 4 4 ounces cod fillets
- Chopped cilantro and capers
In a colander, salt the eggplant; let stand for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Stir in the sun-dried tomatoes and cubanelle pepper and cook for 7 minutes.
Pat the eggplant dry; slice into thin strips. Add to the skillet with the tomato sauce, coconut milk, cumin and 1 cup water; season with salt and pepper. Lower the heat, cover and simmer, stirring once, until the eggplant softens, 15 to 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, season the cod with salt and pepper; coat with the flour. In a large skillet, heat the remaining 1/3 olive oil over high heat until hot. Add the cod and cook until golden, 2 to 3 minutes; flip and cook until opaque, about 1 minute more. Drain on paper towels.
Divide the stewed eggplant among 4 plates and sprinkle with the cilantro and capers. Top each serving with a cod fillet.