- 8 slices bacon
- 8 slices white or wheat sandwich bread
- Extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
- 2 8 ounce piece skinless, boneless chicken breast, halved lengthwise
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 small avocado
- 1 small clove garlic, finely chopped with a little salt
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/3 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1/3 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- 4 leaves red- or green-leaf lettuce
- 8 slices tomato
- 4 thin slices red onion
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees . Bake the bacon on a broiler pan until crisp, about 15 minutes.
While the bacon is working, arrange the bread on a baking sheet and lightly toast in the oven, about 5 minutes.
In a large skillet, heat a drizzle of EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until golden, 4 to 6 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Stir in the butter and hot sauce.
In a small bowl, mash the avocado with the garlic and lemon juice; season with salt. In another small bowl, mash the blue cheese with the creme fraiche. Spread the avocado mash on 4 toasts and top each with a lettuce leaf, a chicken breast half, 2 tomato slices, an onion slice and 2 crisscrossed bacon strips. Spread the blue cheese dressing on the remaining toasts and set on top. Slice the sammies into 4 triangles each.