- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 pounds tomatoes--cored, seeded and coarsely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 6 slices (3/4-inch-thick) crusty italian bread
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and halved crosswise
- 6 tablespoons EVOO, plus more for drizzling
- 1/4 cup torn basil leaves (loosely packed)
In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes with 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper.
Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high. Add the bread and grill, turning, until golden and charred in spots, about 5 minutes. Rub one side of each hot bread slice with the cut side of a garlic clove, using half a clove for each slice.
Drizzle 1 tbsp. EVOO evenly over the garlicky side of each bread slice and spoon the tomatoes on top. Sprinkle with the basil and drizzle with a few more drops of EVOO.