- 1 pound fresh Mexican chorizo, casings removed, crumbled
- 1 pound ground pork, beef or turkey
- 2 - 3 tablespoons grated yellow onion with the juice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper
- Canola oil, for drizzling
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 large jalapeno chile pepper, chopped
- 1 lemon or lime, juice (about 2 tbsp.)
- 1 ripe Haas avocado
- 1 ear corn, kernels scraped from cob
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, grated or pasted
- 4 cornmeal-dusted kaiser rolls, split
- 4 large lettuce leaves
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- A couple handfuls white-or blue-corn tortilla chips, preferably Xochitl brand
Heat a grill or griddle pan over medium-high.
In a large bowl, combine the crumbled chorizo, ground meat, grated yellow onion and juice, Worcestershire sauce and cumin; season with salt and pepper. Form the mixture into 4 patties (thinner at the center for even cooking). Drizzle the patties with the oil.
In a medium bowl, combine the red onion, jalapeno and lemon juice. Season liberally with salt and let stand 10 minutes. Mash in the avocado, then stir in the corn, cilantro and garlic.
Add the patties to the grill and cook, turning once, until cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Divide the patties among the roll bottoms. Add the lettuce, tomato, chips, guacamole and roll tops.