- 4 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 cup chocolate-hazelnut spread
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 cups milk
- 3 cups chilled heavy cream, divided
- 3/4 cup (6 oz.) brandy
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped out, or 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup finely ground hazelnuts
- Dark chocolate shavings for garnish
In a large bowl, vigorously whisk the egg yolks, chocolate-hazelnut spread, cocoa powder and 1/2 cup sugar until the mixture is very pale, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk, 1 cup cream, the brandy, salt and the vanilla bean and seeds.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg whites on medium until soft peaks form. Add 1/4 cup sugar; beat to form stiff peaks. In 2 batches, whisk the whites into the yolk mixture. Cover; refrigerate 4 to 6 hours.
Before serving, in a medium bowl, beat the remaining 2 cups cream and 1 tbsp. sugar until soft peaks form, about 2 minutes. discard the vanilla bean. To serve: moisten the rims of 8 glasses with water, then dip them in ground hazelnuts. Fill glasses with ice and then gently whisk the eggnog and ladle into cups. Garnish with dark-chocolate shavings.