- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 chocolate babka (16 to 18 oz.) cut into 3/4-inch cubes (7 to 8 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pint vanilla bean ice cream, melted in the refrigerator overnight, or microwaved until just melted but still cold
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, then whisk in the milk, vanilla and 1/4 tsp. salt. Toss with the babka and 1 cup chocolate chips, pressing to submerge babka. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Transfer the babka mixture to a greased 2 1/2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips and the hazelnuts. Using a pastry brush, dab the cream all over the top; sprinkle with the sugar. Bake until the custard is set in the center and the top is browned in spots, about 1 hour. Let cool, about 15 minutes.
In a medium bowl, whisk the melted ice cream, brandy and cinnamon. Serve with the warm bread pudding.