- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 green apples
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup organic cider
- Shredded super sharp white cheddar cheese, pepitas (toasted pumpkin seeds) and tortilla chips, for serving
Heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the turkey and cook until brown, using a potato masher to break it up.
Using a food processor, puree the chipotles and 2 tbsp. adobo sauce (to dial back the heat level, scrape out the chile seeds first). Stir 2 tbsp. of the chipotle puree into the meat; season with salt and pepper. Reserve the remaining puree to adjust the heat at the end of cooking (freeze whats left over in a storage bag). Stir in the coriander, cumin and paprika. Add the onion and garlic.
Peel and chop 1 apple and add to the chili. Chop the other unpeeled apple and dress with the lemon juice. Add the cinnamon and bay leaves to the chili, cover and cook, stirring and lowering the heat, for 10 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, then the stock and cider; simmer.
Top the chili with the cheese, reserved apple and the pepitas. Serve with the chips.