- 1 pound beef filet or petite filet
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 - 3 tablespoons pureed chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (puree in a food processor or blender)
- 1/3 cup mexican crema, sour cream or creme fraiche
- 3/4 pound dried egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Chopped chives and cilantro, for garnishing
Freeze the beef for 10 minutes. Slice into thin strips.
In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp. oil over high heat. Add the beef and stir-fry until browned, 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil.
To the skillet, add the remaining 2 tbsp. oil and stir-fry the mushrooms, onion and garlic for 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and the thyme.
Stir in the beef stock and pureed chipotles. Stir in the beef, its juices and the mexican crema (or other cream). Lower the heat and simmer while the noodles cook.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the noodles and cook until tender. Drain, then toss with the butter, chives and cilantro. Top with the stroganoff.