- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, finely chopped, 1 tablespoon sauce reserved
- 1 bottle Mexican beer, such as Negra Modelo
- 1 15 ounce can pure pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin (1/2 palmful)
- 2 pinches ground cinnamon
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained
- 1 green apple, finely chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped cilantro (a generous handful)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup whole berry cranberry sauce
- Corn tortilla chips (a couple of generous handfuls), lightly crushed (optional)
In a soup pot, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the yellow onion, garlic and chipotle with its sauce and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add the beer and cook until reduced by half, 3 minutes. Stir in the pumpkin, cumin, cinnamon and salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the chicken broth and beans and simmer for 10 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine the apple, red onion, jalapeno, cilantro and lime juice. In another bowl, combine the sour cream and cranberry sauce.
Serve the soup in bowls and top with the apple salsa, cranberry sour cream and tortilla chips, if using.