- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 orange, zested and juiced (about 1/2 tsp. zest and 1/4 cup juice)
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 15 ounce can pinto beans, rinsed
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high. Add the shallot and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, 2 minutes. Add the chicken; season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until browned, 5 minutes. Add the orange zest, juice, chipotles and tomato paste and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, 2 minutes.
Add the squash, pinto beans and 3 cups water; bring to a boil. Cover; reduce the heat to medium- low and simmer the chili until the squash is just tender, about 20 minutes.
Using the back of a spoon, smash some of the squash against the side of the pot and stir into the chili to thicken. Simmer until the flavors meld, about 5 minutes more. Season, divide among bowls and garnish with the scallions.