- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs or breasts, sliced inot 1/2-1-inch strips
- About 1 tsp. ground cumin
- About 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- About 1 tsp. ground coriander
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup EVOO, plus more for drizzling
- 1 shallot, coarsely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, smashed
- 2 tablespoons pureed chipotle in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 romaine hearts, coarsely chopped (7-8 cups)
- 1 small red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro or fresh parsley
- 2 cups lightly crushed tortilla chips
Season the chicken with the cumin, paprika, coriander, salt and pepper. In a large skillet, drizzle in enough oil to just cover the bottom and heat over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook through, 7 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate; reserve the skillet.
In a food processor, puree the shallot, garlic, chipotle in adobo, vinegar and brown sugar. With the machine on, stream in 1/3 cup EVOO. In the reserved skillet, simmer the sauce for 1 minute.
In a large bowl, place the lettuce and onion. Add the avocado and dress with the lime juice. Top with the tomatoes, cilantro (or parsley) and chips. Pour in the warm dressing and toss. To serve, top the salad with the chicken.