Recipe by Mindy Fox
Start to Finish: 35 minutes
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced (about 2 tbsp.)
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 lb. ground beef (80% lean)
- 1 can (about 15 oz.) chickpeas, rinsed
- 2 tbsp. coarsely chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (about 2 large), plus 2 tbsp. sauce
- 12 small (6-inch) corn tortillas, charred
1. In a medium bowl, stir the tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice, and 1/4 cup of the onion; season the pico de gallo with salt and pepper.
2. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium. Add the remaining onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 7 to 9 minutes. Stir in the cumin, then the beef; season. Cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until the beef is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chickpeas and the chipotles and adobo sauce. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beef is cooked through, 5 to 8 minutes more; season.
3. In a skillet over high heat or directly over a gas burner, toast the tortillas, turning often with tongs, until charred, about 15 to 30 seconds total on each side.
4. Serve the tortillas with the beef and the pico de gallo.