- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 hot Italian sausage (about 4 ounces), casing removed
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped ginger
- 2 cups leftover vegetable fried rice
- Salt and pepper
- 1 4 1/2 pound chicken
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . In a wok or heavy skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking up the meat, until no longer pink, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the bell pepper and ginger and cook, stirring, until the bell pepper is crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Add the rice, season with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Let cool to room temperature.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper, place in a 9-by-13-inch roasting pan and stuff with the rice. Brush the chicken with 1 tablespoon oil and roast for 1 hour.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the hoisin sauce, fivespice powder and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Brush the sauce all over the chicken and roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted deep in the stuffing and the thigh registers 155 degrees , about 30 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes.
Scoop out the stuffing and slice the chicken; divide among 4 plates and top with the cilantro, if using.