- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, one-half finely chopped, one-half thinly sliced
- 1 cup corn chips, such as Fritos, crushed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 28 ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can black beans
- 6 sandwich rolls, split halfway and toasted
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese (about 8 ounces)
In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, chopped onion, 1/4 cup crushed corn chips, the egg, chili powder, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 cup water. Shape into 1-inch balls.
In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sliced onion and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and the remaining 3/4 cup crushed corn chips and bring to a boil. Add the meatballs to the sauce, cover and simmer until the meatballs are cooked through, about 20 minutes. Stir in the beans and cook just until heated through, about 5 minutes.
Preheat the broiler. Using a slotted spoon, spoon the chili meatballs and sauce into the toasted rolls, then top with the cheese. Broil until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes.