- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cans (15 to 15.5 oz. each) chickpeas, rinsed
- 6 cups (48 oz.) low-sodium chicken stock
- 6 small carrots (about 12 oz.), peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 1/4 cups quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 10 ounces chopped fresh kale (about 7 cups)
In a large pot, heat the oil over medium. Add the onion, season with salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic; stir constantly until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Meanwhile, in a blender or food processor, puree half the chickpeas with 2 cups chicken stock.
Add the chickpea puree, remaining 4 cups stock and the carrots, quinoa, marinara and rosemary to the pot. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the kale and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the kale wilts, about 12 minutes.
Stir in the remaining chickpeas. Cover and simmer the stew until the chickpeas are heated through and the carrots are tender, about 5 minutes more; season.