- Prep Time
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin (2/3 palmful)
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander (2/3 palmful)
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper (1/3 palmful)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 or 2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup beer or chicken broth
- 12 tomatillos (about 1 to 1-1/4 pounds)husks removed, fruit rinsed and chopped
- 4 8 inches flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
In a medium nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the ground chicken and cook, stirring, until browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the zucchini and bell pepper, then the cumin, coriander and pepper; season with salt. Cook over medium heat for 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in the lime juice.
In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, onion and jalapenos and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the beer and boil to reduce by half, about 3 minutes. Add the tomatillos and simmer for 6 to 7 minutes.
Heat a large skillet over high heat and blister the tortillas, about 30 seconds on each side.
Preheat the broiler to high. Brush the inside of an 8-inch round cake pan with the remaining 1 tablespoon EVOO, 1 turn of the pan. Place a tortilla in the pan, then top with one-third of the chicken, one-quarter of the tomatillo sauce and 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat the layering 2 more times. Top with the remaining tortilla, tomatillo sauce and cheese. Broil for 2 minutes until the cheese is melted.