- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 lbs.), chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, crushed red pepper or hot paprika
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 pound farfalle (bow-tie pasta)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- About 1/3 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
In a large skillet, heat the EVOO, two turns of the pan, over medium- high. Add the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook until lightly browned, stirring often, about 4 minutes. Add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic and bay leaf; season. Cook, partially covered and stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften, 7 to 8 minutes. Add the paprika and cayenne and stir to toast the spices, about 1 minute. Add the stock and tomatoes; reduce the heat and let the goulash simmer while the pasta cooks.
Salt the water and cook the pasta until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water. Add the pasta and the cooking water back to the hot pot. Add the butter and herbs; toss to coat. Add the lemon juice and season with salt.
Off heat, stir the creme fraiche into the goulash. Toss the goulash with the pasta and divide among shallow bowls.