Recipe by Laura Rege
This recipe originally appeared in our Harvest 2020 issue. Get the magazine here.
Start to Finish: 35 minutes
- 4 corn tortillas
- 3 tbsp. canola oil
- 2/3 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup chunky red salsa
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 radishes, sliced into thin matchsticks
- 1 avocado—pitted, peeled, and sliced
- Hot sauce, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 400°. Arrange the tortillas on a rimmed baking sheet; brush with 1 tbsp. oil. Bake until crisp and golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Flip the tortillas over; top with the cheese. Bake until the cheese is bubbly, about 4 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a large pot, heat the remaining 2 tbsp. oil over medium-high. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add the chicken, working in batches, if needed, and cook until cooked through and browned, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate. Let stand for 5 minutes, then shred the meat.
3. Add the stock, salsa, and carrots to the pot. Bring to a boil over high, then reduce the heat to medium. Simmer until the carrots are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the beans and corn; season. Simmer until heated through, about 1 minute. Add the chicken and any juices on the plate.
4. Ladle the soup into bowls; top with the radishes and avocado. Break up the tortillas over the soup. Serve with hot sauce.