- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 1/2 pounds bone-in chicken breast halves, skin removed
- 1 1/2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 large carrots, peeled and halved crosswise
- 2 large ribs celery, halved crosswise
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
In a stockpot, add the chicken, stock, salt and enough water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil; skim. Lower the heat and add the onions, carrots, celery, garlic, thyme and peppercorns. Partially cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked, about 1 hour.
Transfer the chicken to a cutting board; let cool, then shred (discard the bones). Transfer the carrots and half of the celery and onions to a bowl, then dice into bite-size pieces.
Strain the broth through a sieve into a bowl, pressing down to extract any juices; discard the solids. Skim the surface of the broth and discard any fat. Return the chicken and vegetables to the pot, add the broth and reheat over medium heat until simmering.